Applications for the 2023–2024 Community Solutions Program is now open!
The Community Solutions Program (CSP) is a year-long professional leadership development program for people who are working to improve their communities by addressing issues related to the environment, peace and conflict resolution, transparency and accountability, and women and gender.
Community leaders will be selected to participate in the program that includes:
-Four-month fellowship in the United States: Community Solutions fellows are matched with host organizations throughout the U.S. where they complete a four-month, hands-on professional experience.
-Community Leadership Institute: Community Solutions fellows participate in the Community Leadership Institute, a leadership training program designed to strengthen their leadership and management skills. The Institute includes face-to-face trainings, online courses, professional coaching, and networking.
-Community-based initiatives: While in the U.S. and with the support of their U.S. host organization, Community Solutions fellows design and plan a community development initiative or project to carry out after they return home. Once the fellows depart the U.S., they put these projects into action in their home communities.
To be eligible for the Community Solutions Program, applicants must meet the requirements listed below. Applications that do not meet these eligibility requirements will be disqualified and will not be reviewed by the selection committee:
-Being between the ages of 25 and 38 as of January 1, 2023
-Being a citizen of one of the eligible countries listed below
-Living and working in your home country
-Individuals with refugee status working on behalf of their home community may be given special consideration
-Having at least two years of experience working on community development, either as a full-time or part-time employee or volunteer
-Not currently participating in an academic, training, or research program in the U.S.
-Having a high level of proficiency in spoken and written English at the time of application
-Semifinalists will be required to take or submit recent scores for a TOEFL or IELTS English language test
-Being available to travel to the U.S. for four months from August to December 2023
-Not being a citizen or permanent resident of the U.S. and have not applied for U.S. permanent residency within the past three years
-Being eligible to receive a U.S. J-1 visa
-Applicants who have participated in an exchange program sponsored by the U.S. Government must have fulfilled their two-year home residency requirement
-Being committed to returning to your home country for a minimum of two years after completing the program and
-Not being a current IREX employee or consultant, or their immediate family member
Eligible Countries by Region:
1) Africa: Botswana, Cameroon, Democratic Republic of Congo, Ethiopia, Ghana, Guinea, Kenya, Liberia, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, Rwanda, Sierra Leone, South Sudan, Sudan, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia, and Zimbabwe.
2) East Asia and the Pacific: Brunei, Burma, Cambodia, Federated States of Micronesia, Fiji, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Mongolia, Papua New Guinea, Philippines, Republic of the Marshall Islands, Singapore, Solomon Islands, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Vanuatu, and Vietnam.
3) Europe: Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, the Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Kosovo, Latvia, Lithuania, Malta, Moldova, Montenegro, North Macedonia, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia, Turkey, and Ukraine.
4) Middle East and North Africa: Algeria, Bahrain, Egypt, Iraq, Israel, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Morocco, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Syria, Tunisia, United Arab Emirates, and West Bank/Palestinian Territories.
5) South and Central Asia: Bangladesh, Bhutan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, and Uzbekistan.
6) Western Hemisphere: Bolivia, Brazil, Colombia, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Jamaica, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Suriname, Trinidad and Tobago, Uruguay, and Venezuela.
The deadline for application is November 2nd 2022.