The African Union Youth Volunteer Corps (AU YVC), established in 2010, is a flagship continental Youth Leadership program that recruits trains an deploys young African professionals from all 55 AU Member States to serve as professional volunteers for a period of 12 months.
AUYVC promotes volunteerism to deepen the status of young people in Africa as key actors in Africa’s development targets and goals, enhancing their participation in policy, programs and initiatives towards the realization of AU Agenda2063 – ‘The Africa We Want’. It brings people together to share skills, knowledge, creativity and learning to build a more integrated, prosperous, and peaceful Continent driven by its citizens. The concept is in line with the Decision of AU Head of States and Governments in Assembly/AU/Dec.274 (XVI) January 2010, to set up a Continental Volunteer initiative and to promote volunteerism to empower young people and accelerate Africa’s development.
Applicants must meet the following criteria:
1. Citizen of an AU Member State living on the continent or in the Diaspora.
2. Aged 18 – 35 years (must be under the age of 35 upon completing 12 months service)
3. Have a post-secondary certified qualification(s) (TVET, Bachelor’s, Master’s etc.)
4. Available in 2023/24 to dedicate 12 (twelve) months for professional volunteer service.
5. Willing to live and work in another AU Member State.
6. Is proficient in at least one AU working language (Arabic, English, French, Portuguese, Swahili , Spanish).
7. Has at least one-year verifiable volunteering experience and one-year professional work
The African Union Commission and partners will cover the full costs of pre-deployment training and
subsequent volunteer deployment for successful candidates.
An African Union Youth Volunteers receive the following benefits & opportunities:
1) Unique opportunity to engage at highest continental policy and programs at the African Union
2) Network with Young African leaders from across the continent
3) Economy return ticket to place of deployment
4) A monthly stipend to cover living expenses
5) Health insurance cover
6) AU Service Passport
7) Separation allowance on successful completion of twelve months service
8) Training and mentorship opportunities